Sunday, February 05, 2006

How I stalked my girlfriend

For the past week I've been tracking my girlfriend through her mobile phone. I can see exactly where she is, at any time of day or night, within 150 yards, as long as her phone is on. It has been very interesting to find out about her day.



Now I'm going to tell you how I did it.First, though, I ought to point out, that my girlfriend is a journalist, that I had her permission ("in principle ...") and that this was all in the name of science, bagging a Pulitzer and paying the school fees. You have nothing to worry about, or at least not from me.

Continue reading this rather worrying article at the Source.

I was actually looking at the website that offers this feature to people in the UK yesterday and I am pleased to see the dangers and potential abuse of such a web site are being noticed in the wider press.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That article is misleading, the 'victim' actually receives random texts informing them that they are being tracked.

It is impossible to do without either the person's knowledge or constant access to the phone.

February 05, 2006 2:43 pm  
Blogger _H_ said...

Well you only need access to the phone for a few mins (about as long as it takes a person to go to the bathroom)

I have been testing it with my wife (with her consent and full knowledge) and we have not recieved any random texts yet at all.

I hope your correct Anonymous and to be fair we have only been testing it for about 12 hours but so far if she hadnt of been there when we set it up then she would have no idea she was being stalked

so how often are these random messages sent ? , being able to stalk someone for 12 hours without their knowledge seems scary enough for me.

February 06, 2006 1:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently to have the support of the Networks in the UK and Ofcom they had to implement the random text thing, part of the code of practice is below;

"Subsequent to activation, the [location service provider] must send periodic SMS alerts to all locatees to remind them that their mobile phone can be located by other parties. These alerts should be sent at random intervals, not in a set pattern. The suggested text and minimum standard frequency for sending the alerts is set out in Annex D."

But Annex D is kept private so no idea on how often. It could be days or weeks, it would be interesting to know though.

February 06, 2006 2:47 am  
Blogger _H_ said...

Interesting , Thanks Anonymous , well if I get any random text messages then I wil be sure to include the point here (if anyone else is testing it and gets such a random message please let us all know)

We are over 21 hours now without the user being notified and so it certainly does not look good in fact it surely borders on being criminal.

February 06, 2006 8:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home