Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Key quotes from Sadddams trial today

FORMER IRAQI PRESIDENT SADDAM HUSSEIN

"They brought me here to the door and I was handcuffed. They cannot bring in the defendant in handcuffs."

"How can a defendant defend himself if his pen was taken. Saddam Hussein's pen and papers were taken. I don't mean a white paper. There are papers downstairs that include my remarks in which I express my opinion."

"I don't want you to alert them! I want you to order them. They are in our country. You are an Iraqi, you are sovereign and they are foreigners, invaders, and occupiers." [speaking after hearing Chief Judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin would speak to Saddam's guards about his complaints]

WADAH ISMAEL AL-SHEIKH, FORMER IRAQI INTELLIGENCE OFFICER AND WITNESS

"They rounded up 400 people from the town - women, children and old men. Saddam's personal bodyguards took part in killing people."

"I don't know why so many people were arrested. [Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti] "was the one directly giving the orders."


BARZAN IBRAHIM AL-TIKRITI, SADDAM'S HALF BROTHER AND CO-ACCUSED

"This is indirect murder. I was examined three months ago and diagnosed with cancer. The trial and the care for the accused are two separate affairs." (complaining of a lack of medical care in custody)

Watch a clip of todays trial at the BBC Here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home